Blackburn’s Green Hollow Center
FREMONT COUNTY IOWA
1291 Cemetery Road (north of Thurman, IA)
Sustainability Learning Center & Grounds
Blackburn’s Green Hollow Center is a 150 acre nature preserve and sustainability learning center in a remote part of the Loess Hills in Southwest Iowa. The center was founded by William R. (Bill) Blackburn, who donates the net income from William Blackburn Consulting, Ltd. to its development and preservation. The property is quite diverse, consisting of approximately 35 acres of prairie and the remainder of timber, ravines, steams and a pond. The center has a pavilion and observation deck constructed in 2009 and will include a learning center building, projected for 2015. The center is made available upon request to educators, researchers, community groups, and businesses to—
- learn more about the Loess Hills and its fauna and flora, history, archeology, soils, and geology;
- study the practical application of green technologies; and
- provide a learning environment for examining sustainability—the balance of environmental, economic and social concerns needed to provide long term well-being for individuals, organizations and society as a whole.
The center was formally launched on September 20, 2009, with the public Hills & Heritage Festival, featuring experts on wildlife, archeology, native plants, and local history who provided on-site lectures and tours to some 400 visitors.